The holiday shopping season is almost upon us! And for small businesses, this can be one of the most important times of the year. From Black Friday to Cyber Monday, and all the way through the end of the year, people are shopping for gifts for their friends, loved ones, and themselves!
Standing out from the crowd can be difficult where there are so many great small businesses out there. So we asked our designers for some tips on how to use PicCollage to create promotional materials that look amazing and will get people excited to shop with you for the holiday season. Scroll down to see their recommendations.
Font Pairing & Sizing
Using complementary fonts and intentional sizes will help your designs look great and will ensure that viewers are focusing on the main information that you want to get across.
- Contrast is key! Combining fonts with opposite styles can really elevate your design. (Warning: Don’t use too many fonts. Stick to 2-3 max.)
- For example, a minimal serif font works well with the opposite type, a bold handwritten font. Or try to pair a light font with something more heavy.
- Don’t combine fonts that are too similar.
- Use hierarchy to guide the reader. The text you want your audience to see first should be the biggest, and the text you want them to read last should be the smallest.
It’s important to make sure that your designs are accessible to anyone who might see them, including those with disabilities. Here are some important tips to help you create accessible designs:
- Make your buttons and clickable areas big enough.
- Make sure your text is big enough and easily readable on the device or platform you are posting it on. It’s always a good idea to test it first before launch!
- For colors, make sure your text has enough contrast with the background. This will make it stand out more and make it easier to read.
- Don’t make your readers eyes hurt. Colors that are opposite on the color wheel and the same in saturation levels usually don’t work well when placed on top or next to each other.
- Think bright green text on a bright red background, ouch! To avoid this, lighten or darken one of the colors and you will see it be easier on the eye.
- Keep it simple. Try to think what exactly you want to communicate and make sure your message doesn’t get lost in the final design. It’s easy to want to add a lot of cute elements, but make sure its not too overwhelming and leaves your audience with the message.
Save time by using our pre-made templates!
If you’re short on time (and, as a business owner, you probably are!) then our pre-made templates might be the perfect option for you. Head to the “Business” template category to see some creative options to promote your business this holiday season!
Other General Design Tips
- Think “Mobile First” – Most of your audience will likely be viewing your designs on their phone. Portrait orientation is the way to go! It’s also easily resizable to Story sizes and squares for social media platforms.
- Make it easy to repurpose content for different platforms – Whether you’re posting to Reels, creating a graphic for your email marketing, or making a flyer to print out, you’re going to need different sizes for your designs. But that doesn’t mean you need to start from scratch each time! Once you create your design in PicCollage, you can easily resize it by following these steps:
- Save your design to your camera roll
- Head back to the editor and tap “Layout”
- Tap “Sizes”
- Choose the size of your next design
Bonus Tip from our Marketing team!
When creating visuals to promote your company or service, make sure you have a catchy headline and a clear offer! The catchy headline will get people to stop scrolling and the clear offer will let them know exactly what it is you’re selling.
Head over to the app now to start prepping your holiday promotional designs! And be sure to follow along on social media @piccollage for tips, tricks, and new content.